Thursday, 13 September 2018

From Junk to Treasure

Part one of two.

We started with a 40 foot container that was here on the property when I bought the place. It was FULLLLLLLL of stuff. About half of that stuff I moved for the previous owner to his own storage unit. The rest, I gradually gave away or threw away. Within about a year, I had an empty container. The roof was rusty and HOLE-y, which gradually rotted the floor out. It was going to take a lot of work to make this piece of junk worth anything at all. I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the time or money on such a risky project.

I tried to give away this piece of junk, but alas, the trees surrounding it and the power line above it make it nearly impossible to remove without damaging something and no one wanted to risk trying to remove it. So it sat... and sat.... an eyesore... a plague upon my otherwise creatively crafted home.

When Anne moved onto the scene, I described the various ideas I had for this junk heap. 1. Cut it up into recyclable strips or strips to use in fence making, 2. Stare at it some more, 3. Try to find someone AGAIN to try and remove it., 4. Design an outdoor kitchen and garage. 1. would take a lot of time and painful angle grinding. 2. Sigh.... 3. SIGH...... 4. Well, maybe if we could do it on the cheap.

I drew up an idea and Anne was enthusiastic. She's an amazing cook, and the space in that part of the yard would be just perfect for the addition of a way to cook for a large group. The idea was for about 16 feet to be kitchen and 24 feet to be garage. The final numbers were chosen based on where the i-beams could support my garage shelving unit which ended up being about 14 feet kitchen and 26 garage.

Anne ripped out the rotted floor. And I primed the areas that would be cut for doors.

Floors OUT!
Garage side.
Kitchen side.
Then Anne scrubbed as much rust off of the roof as possible. I primed that and coated it with a heavy thick poly-elasto-super-goo. This is all with the hope that we can preserve what is left. Holes still exist un-repaired, but now they are OUR skylights!!
Scrub it!!!
Watch your head up there!!
Next, after scraping and priming the interior, I sprayed the entire interior with exterior paint. My dad had given me a couple gallons of taupe colored stuff he had left over. This covered less than half of the garage. We bought more of that same color for the rest of the garage and decided on a nice gray blue for the kitchen.

Painting with no floor... fun... Look at those skylights!
Time for cutting!!!  I cut with an angle grinder 2 large doors and 6 small windows. Each cut out pushes into an awning. AND Floor time! We decided a deck style floor would be better for this space. This allows the rain to go through instead of getting trapped and rotting the floor.

Kitchen door!
From the kitchen side before the garage shelving moved in.
We took the old deck from the garage area to make the new garage porch. The kitchen door is about 4 feet wide and the garage door is about 7 feet wide. Because the garage door was much larger and therefor heavier, AND it was set up on a deck, it only went up far enough for a bench, not a walk through.
Garage door. Garage porch and bench.
Garage shelving from my old garage area went right in to separate the space. We were able to move the entire garage over before we left for Alaska.

Looking toward the kitchen.
Plenty of work space.
The kitchen had to be put on hold until after Alaska. The kitchen required a lot more detail and beautifying.  And so, I will save the kitchen for my next post in two weeks! Link to part TWO will be here :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment